Top 5 Amazing Benefits of Deep Breathing
Guided deep breathing meditation
Newsflash: You’re not breathing properly, don’t panic you’re not going to die! All I’m saying is you’re not practising the amazing benefits of guided deep breathing!
Think of it like developing a habit, but not a bad one. Instead it’s the most amazing habit you could ever form! Besides helping you to relax and reduce stress, it's also a great way to release toxins and even improve your posture and digestive health.
In fact, the list goes on and on…But we’ve narrowed down the Top 5 Amazing Benefits of Guided Deep Breathing Mediation:
Top 5 Amazing Benefits of Guided Deep Breathing
- Improves Physical Health:
- Releases toxins. Your body is designed to release 70% of its toxins through deep breathing! Stop shallow breathing right now damn it!!
- Massages your organs. The movements of the diaphragm during the deep breathing exercise massages the stomach, small intestine, liver and pancreas. Think of it like an internal masseuse!
- Super charges your Immune System. More oxygen travels through your bloodstream, enriching your body.
- Improves the quality of your blood. Deep breathing removes all the carbon-dioxide and increases oxygen in the blood which increases blood quality. Removes bad stuff, increases the good stuff!
- Improves your digestion. The digestive organs, such as the stomach, operate more efficiently when they receive more oxygen. It just makes sense!
- Strengthens the lungs. As you breathe deeply the lungs become healthy and powerful, a good insurance against respiratory problems.
- Strengthens the heart. Efficient lungs mean more oxygen to the heart, so it doesn’t have to work as hard to deliver oxygen to the tissues.
- Relieves Stress & Tension. Our old enemy stress, we can’t avoid all stress but we sure can reduce it! Remember in my previous article: How can I Relax my Mind and Body?– I mentioned the relaxation response and how it counteracts stress.
Well something as simple as deep breathing has been demonstrated time and time again to be the most effective relaxation response. The relaxation response puts the brakes on stress and brings your body and mind back into a state of balance. Here’s what happens when the relaxation response is activated by guided deep breathing meditation:
- Heart rate slows down
- Breathing becomes slower and deeper
- Blood pressure drops or stabilizes
- Muscles relax
- Blood flow to the brain increases – You get smarter!
- Reduces Pain. Chronic oxygen deprivation from shallow breathing (stop doing it!), is a frequent contributor to aches and pains L. When this happens our body literally screams out for more oxygen by sending pain signals! Guided deep breathing meditation has been known to work well for:
- Arthritis.Deep controlled breathing can bring welcome relief from arthritic pain. It stimulates blood flow and can help bring more oxygen to your muscles and joints. Yay!
- Headaches. Deep breathing can be used to help to reduce stress and minimise headache pain brought on by a number of things including eye strain, sensitivity to light and sound, and conditions like sinusitis. Bonus, you can also use as an aid to prevent migraines.
- Labor Pain. Women have practised breathing techniques for centuries in order to help minimise labor pains.
- Enhances Emotional Well-Being. There is plenty of evidence to show that guided deep breathing is powerfully connected to our emotions. Oxygenation of the brain reduces excessive stress levels and increases pleasure-inducing neurochemicals – sounds sexy, right? This elevates moods and helps to clear uneasy feelings out of your body.
You’ll find this interesting: Since it’s often difficult to change your emotions using thoughts alone – try talking yourself out of intense anxiety or anger! Learning to use deep breathing becomes a very powerful tool. Instead of talking your way out of your feelings, you can learn to “breathe” your way through them.
- Opens Spiritual Connections.Here’s a good quote for you:
According to Dr. Andrew Weil, “Breath is the movement of Spirit in the body.”
That’s pretty deep right, get it, because we’re talking about deep breathing! But seriously, many of the world’s major spiritual traditions have employed deep breathing techniques to deepen spiritual experiences.
Another awesome story and fact for you: Ancient Hawaiian spiritual leaders believed that, with your breath, you brought in positive energy and expelled negative energy. It was such a large part of their lives that the Hawaiian word for breath, “Ha”, begins the island’s name. Seriously how cool is that!!!
Practising guided deep breathing brings:
- A stronger sense of inner strength
- A feeling of being closer to the source of all life
- A deeper sense of peace
- Improved self-esteem & self-worth
- Stronger intuition or “inner knowing”
- A deeper sense of guidance from a higher power
- Access to clarity and creativity
If you found this article interesting, and I know you did! Then click on the following link and enter a guided state of deep breathing and relaxation right now!